Fill in the Blanks
True or False
1. When the Israelites heard Goliath’s challenge, they ran away in fear.
2. David’s brother encouraged him to go and fight Goliath.
3. David told Saul he was willing to fight Goliath.
4. David thought his most effective weapon against Goliath was a sword.
5. When David killed Goliath, the Philistine army surrendered.
-- Lisa DeVinney
Hands On Activity: little cups that the children can take home, a spoon
packet of grass seeds, brown planting/potting soil
Instruct the children in how to plant their own seeds.
Your Sunday school students can spoon potting
soil into their cups all the way up to the top.
They may sprinkle grass seed on top, and gently press the seed
into the soil with a finger. Tell them when they are home to place the cup
in a place where it will get sunlight and to add a little water every day.
Ask them to bring their cups back next week.
When this lesson is complete - they can find a suitable place
either near the Sunday school
or by their homes to plant the grass
into good ground.
Follow Up Planting Discussion:
1. What is the last word written in today's focus verse? Read the verse and then say the last word
of today's verse with emphasis: PATIENCE.
2. What is patience? Ask them if they know and then read to them the following:
The willingness to continually wait upon something favorably
with a quiet, understanding manner.
3. Do we learn of patience in other places in The Bible? ( yes )
Read the following:
James 1: 4 But let patience have her perfect work,
that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.
Romans 5:4 And patience, experience; and experience, hope:
4. What ground is described in today's verse - good or bad?
5. What kind of heart is mentioned in today's verse - good or bad?
6 Ask the children if they know who planted the very first garden on this earth.
Then read to them the following:
Genesis 2: 8 And the Lord God planted a garden eastward in Eden;
and there he put the man whom he had formed.
7 From our lesson activity today: name at least three things
that help the seeds to grow.
8. Will we see grass emerge from the soil today?
9. Is it possible that we will have grass above the soil next week sprouting?
10. Are we able to wait patiently to see the growth? ( YES )