GOD'S LOVE LETTER - THE BIBLE
Our Sunday school topic for today focuses on GODS word and the profound way that it has impacted and changed the lives of all that have read in the past, present and in the future of the world. HIS word is truth and will stand forever.
Handout: GOD'S LOVE LETTER - THE BIBLE
1. Ask the students -Think for a moment about the Bible as you know it, and what it has meant in your life. Then, think about all the lives in the past, presently, and in the future that have been changed by GODS word. Think about what an enormous impact GODS word has had on the world. Imagine now if we it did not exist and we did not have it. We have been so blessed to have GODS word penned down in one accessible book at our fingertips. So many times people take the Bible for granted. Early Christians did not have it so good. They did not have GODS word right in front of them written down and so easy to get to, and how sad that so many people just cast it on a shelf and rarely explore it's pages. GODS word, the Bible is the very principle and rock that we as believers stand upon. It will endure forever. The Bible, GODS word, pure, plain truth.
2. Ask the students - Imagine you wake up one morning in the middle of the sea, on a contraption that is floating but it's not a ship, it's nothing like you have ever seen before. You know that you are headed for specific destination, you are there for a reason, but you have no directions or instructions, you have no map to tell you where you are or where you are to go. The Bible is GODS love letter to us, but it is also our guide to life. GODS word is our instruction, our map. It is so important to read GODS word daily and meditate upon it. Learn it, desire to know, seek wisdom and knowledge from GOD about it. Memorize it, hide it deep in your heart. Nothing or no one can take that knowledge away from you once you have it hidden in your heart...David said in Psalms 119:11 "Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee." Knowledge of GODS word helps us to know what HE expects of us as believers. It shows us what to do and what not to do. It is a map to victorious living if we read it, learn it, and obey what it says. We should be not only readers, and hearers of GODS word but also doers of HIS word. Romans 2:13 "For not the hearers of the law are just before GOD, but the doers of the law shall be justified." James 1:22 "But be ye doers of the word, and now hearers only, deceiving your own selves."
3. What a wonderful, loving FATHER we have. HE knew how hard it would be for us living and traveling on our journey to our final destination. HE knew that we are pilgrims and strangers in a strange land and that we would need instruction and guidance. We would need encouragement and judgment as well as to be reminded of HIS unfeigned love for us. Some may have the attitude that it isn't necessary for them to read or know GODS word. This is a crucial part of us as children of GOD. There are so many false doctrines out there, that seem ok...they seem to go along with what maybe you think is moral and good, however, if you do not know GODS word, if you are not grounded in the principles of HIS word you will be easily swayed. We have truth, we hold it in our hands. We read it's pages and we know that it will stand when everything else falls around us...GODS word will stand, it is our foundation. Let us always be so thankful that GOD placed HIS word, our map, our instruction and yes HIS love letter to HIS children the Bride of CHRIST HIS only begotten SON. GODS word is a lamp unto our feet and a light unto our paths in a dark and lost world. Psalm 119:105.
4. What are some of the benefits that we have in having the Bible, that earlier Christians did not have?
5. What does the Bible say?
6. Describe the joy and personal reward of humble dedication - the indwelling Christ
7. Challenge students to serve others in humility this week
To get an understanding of how important it is to know GOD'S word. Take turns telling about what GODS word has meant to each student, and how profound it would be if we did not have GODS word. Then think of creative ways that each person can spend more time in GODS word and get it embedded in each and every heart.
Timothy 2:14 "Study to shew thyself approvedd unto GOD, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."
we come before you today,
in thanksgiving and gratitude that
You gave us your word in the Bible.
We try to understand the profound way it
has touched, and changed our lives as well
as the lives of everyone who have read it.
We ask You to help us to never take Your word
for granted and to always know that it is
one of the greatest gifts of Love that You have
given to mankind. We thank you, praise you, worship You
and ask that You help us to get more of a desire
to know you through your word. Help us seek You and to live
know what lies in the pages of the greatest Love letter ever written
(In the name of JESUS...Amen.)
April 25, 2008